Several Camarena teachers sent messages to their students via You Tube. To watch the video click HERE.
Unfortunately the parade has been cancelled. Sorry.
6th grade camp has not been officially canceled yet. As soon as we get confirmation that camp is indeed canceled, we will begin the process of getting refunds out to all our 6th grade parents.
As you may have heard, California Governor Gavin Newsom announced a statewide “shelter-in-place.” This latest directive aligns closely with actions taken earlier this week by our San Diego County officials, which means we will continue limiting gatherings to no more than 10 individuals and enforcing social distancing.
In a unified effort to protect the health of students, staff and school communities, the Chula Vista Elementary School District and other school districts countywide, in collaboration with the County Department of Public Health, made the collective decision to remain closed indefinitely. We will send you weekly updates while our schools are closed until further notice. We are taking a proactive and aggressive approach to maintain the health, safety and well-being of our schools and communities.
The Governor’s order does not change or impact the role of CVESD, which is considered essential, nor our duty to carry out the following essential services:
- Meals being prepared and distributed to students.
- Any function associated with keeping the continuity of learning moving forward.
As we all adjust to the ongoing reality of school closures, we want to provide a message of encouragement and support to you, our families. CVESD is comprised of staff, parents, students, and our community partners. Together each of us is being asked to do our part. These are truly unprecedented times and ones that can be challenging for our children to understand. We appreciate the difficult task that families face in keeping their loved ones healthy, safe and informed.
Friday, March 13, 2020
As you know, current events involving COVID-19 are developing rapidly in our country and our region. In consultation with County Public Health and superintendents from school districts across San Diego County, all public schools will close beginning Monday, March 16, 2020.
In the South County, the Chula Vista Elementary School District, National School District, San Ysidro School District, South Bay Union School District and Sweetwater Union High School District will each close schools through Friday, April 3, 2020.
At this time, classes in CVESD are scheduled to resume April 6, 2020.
Students should stay home and minimize social contact as much as possible to keep their adult family members safe. The district is exploring with the City of Chula Vista and County of San Diego, and community organizations what it can do to support students and families while schools are closed during the week before Spring Break as well as the break.
This decision was made with the best interests of students and staff in mind. Instead of doing reactive school by school closures, we’re going to focus the next 3 weeks on how can we provide essential support for our community in this new reality. It is likely we will be seeing many more cases of COVID-19 in the coming weeks and months and this will require a measured, sustained response.
Our staff will be working part of this time, and using the time to prepare and train on how to educate and support community health during this epidemic.
We are considering what, if any, childcare options we can extend to families over the next two weeks during this unplanned closure. We will be sharing detailed information about how families can support student learning during school closures, especially if they are for extended periods.
We’ll be sharing more details as soon as possible about what we can make available.
For now, take comfort in that we will all do our part to limit spread and transmission of COVID-19 in our respective communities.
Francisco Escobedo, Ed.D.
Congratulations to the following Camarena Staff:
- Maria Ponce, School Secretary is our Classified Employee of the Year!
- Robyn Elsmore 5th grade teacher has been selected as one of three Chula Vista Elementary School District Teachers of the Year and will advance to the San Diego County Office of Education Competition!
- Kariann Greenlee 6th Grade Teacher is our Sanford Harmony Inspire Teacher of the Year!
Wednesday, March 11 6:00 pm If you are interested in learning about our Dual Language Immersion Program please attend the Dual Immersion Parent Info Meeting at 6:00 pm in the school auditorium.
Thursday, March 12 – Thursday, March 19 MINIMUM DAYS – Parent/Teacher Conferences. All students will be released at 1:15 pm. Please make sure to notify daycare providers or family/friends who are picking your child/children up on these early days.
Friday, March 13 6:00 pm – VAPA Showcase. The Visual and Performing Arts teachers will be showcasing the arts education that they are providing for our students. Click VAPA Showcase for more information.
6TH GRADE CAMP – Medical form, permission form and remaining balance is due March 13.
EASTLAKE MIDDLE SCHOOL – Attached below is the link from the Eastlake Middle School Website with all the detailed information regarding the parent packet, important dates and the elementary school presentation.
YEARBOOKS – Last week to get your Yearbooks at the Pre-sale price of $36.00. If there are any additional yearbooks available after presales the cost will be $50.00. All sales will end March 20 and must be completed online at https://commpe.pictavo.com/. The SCHOOL CODE is 87294.
HEALTH REMINDERS – As we continue to monitor and provide district-wide updates on the COVID-19 disease. Remind your child to wash their hands when using the bathroom and before eating snack and/or lunch. Students should NOT SHARE food. If your child is sick, keep him/her home. Please note that our school is taking extra precautions in keeping the campus cleaned.
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK through THOUGHT EXCHANGE. Please take a few minutes to respond to open-ended questions about what we’re doing well and where we can improve. The Chula Vista Elementary School District will use your input to inform our academic priorities in support of student achievement. The Thought Exchange link will be open through March 20. Opt In to receive info via text send a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school code 67587.
SAFETY REMINDER – In order to have an effective response for significant events, it is important for us to be prepared. Though we have regular drills for students and staff, we need the support of our parents, guardians and families in the following ways:
- Ensure that you and family members who want to be notified are registered to receive text messages on your cell phone through our emergency notification system. To opt in, please text “Y” or “Yes” to 67587.
- Check and update the emergency card information in the school’s front office any time you or one of the contacts change information.
- If you or any of the emergency contacts are ever asked to pick up a child at the school during an emergency or a medical event, please remember to bring your identification card. We are unable to release children to any person who does not have proper ID. We are only allowed to release children to those individuals listed on the emergency card, no exceptions.
- In any emergency, please remember that we want to keep phone lines open so our first responders such as fire, law enforcement and emergency medical personnel can use the phone lines to get life-saving resources to the scene(s). Therefore, the BEST form of communication between family members and friends during an emergency is texting.
- If an incident happens at your child’s school, please know that our staff will first handle the emergency, ensure life safety, and then communicate with you. It is critical to take life-saving measures before texting about it.
- If an incident happens at your child’ school, follow the instructions of law enforcement and school administrators.
CAMARENA SPORTS TEAMS
TEST SCORES – Parents can now access their student score reports for the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) and English Learner Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC). Go to http://www.cvesd.org, Parents tab, My Child’s School, Home Access Center or click Register. Parent information for students taking the California Spanish Assessment (CSA) click here.
6TH GRADE ART – Our 6th Grade student collaborative Art Work will be displayed at the Cabrillo National Park Exhibit on April 1 – May 30.
Otay Water District Poster Contest – A first and second winner will be awarded from each category. Each of the six chosen participants will win a certificate with their name on it, $50-$75 gift card, art kit, and goodie bag.
Chess Club begins on Thursday, March 5
Team Dance begins Session 5 begins Friday, March 6
- March 16 – 19 Scholastic Book Fair (Hours: 7:30 am – 8:00 am, 8:30 am – 11:00 am, and 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm)
- Thursday, March 19 Awards Assembly – 8:30 am Grades 4-6
- Friday, March 20 Awards Assembly – Grades 4-6 8:30 am; Grades 2-3 9:15 am
- March 23 – April 3 NO SCHOOL – SPRING BREAK
Students with PERFECT Attendance January 14 through May 4 will receive one free ticket to the San Diego County Fair!
Camarena Spirit Wear is available for purchase! Order Here.
Garden Cleanup Project – If you would like to support our school garden click the link for more information. Thank you to everyone who has come out to help so far.